If you are shopping for a new NHL fan jersey, you likely have come across the Fanatics Breakaway jersey. In this article we will discuss what a Fanatics Breakaway Jersey is, and how it compares with the other fan jerseys.
If you are shopping for a jersey, here’s what you need to know about your options:
- Adidas Authentic Jersey – Official Authentic Jersey. This is the closest you can get as a fan to wearing what the players wear on the ice. Stitched graphics. Loose fit, but I ordered my regular sizing. Click here to view the Adidas Authentic Jerseys at NHLShop.com (affiliate link takes you to NHLShop.com).
- Fanatics Breakaway Jersey – This is the official replica jersey of the NHL. Still has nice quality even though it isn’t authentic. Stitched graphics. Loose fit also, but sleeves are a bit slimmer than the Adidas jerseys. More affordable than the authentic jerseys. Click here to view the Fanatics Breakaway jerseys at NHLShop.com (affiliate link takes you to NHLShop.com).
- Adidas Practice Jersey – Alternate Adidas option. More affordable than Adidas Authentics. Practice themed jersey so it has a bit of a different look than the standard jerseys. This jersey also has a loose fit, but I ordered my regular sizing. Click here to view the Adidas Practice jerseys at NHLShop.com (affiliate link takes you to NHLShop.com).
Adidas is the NHL’s official outfitter for on-ice uniforms and other licensed apparel. The Fanatics Breakaway is the one jersey option that you have as a fan that is not made by Adidas. What is a Fanatics Breakaway jersey?
A Fanatics Breakaway jersey is a replica NHL fan jersey. Under the current NHL apparel agreement, Adidas has the contract to manufacture authentic jerseys and Fanatics has the contract to manufacture replica jerseys.
A replica jersey is a fan jersey that looks very similar to the authentic team jersey, but has a few small differences that help keep production costs down so that the jersey can be offered to fans at a more-affordable price point than the authentic jerseys.
This is the current price of the Fanatics Breakaway jerseys at NHLShop.com (affiliate link takes you to NHLShop.com). Here is a look at my Fanatics Breakaway jersey compared to my Adidas Authentic jersey:
Another thing that stands out about the Fanatics Breakaway NHL jerseys is they are the only type of NHL fan jersey that also offers a women’s version. This is what the women’s version of the Fanatics Breakaway looks like (affiliate link takes you to NHLShop.com).
In this article I will use photos of my own jerseys to help discuss these topics:
- What does Fanatics Breakaway jersey mean?
- Fanatics Breakaway jersey sizing
- Fanatics Breakaway vs Adidas Authentic jersey
What does Fanatics Breakaway jersey mean?
The Fanatics Breakaway jerseys are replica NHL jerseys (to read more, visit our article Are Breakaway jerseys authentic?).
As we discussed earlier, replica jerseys are fan jerseys that look very similar to the more-expensive authentic jerseys, but have a few less premium details so that the jersey can be offered to fans at a more affordable price point than the authentic jerseys.
Replica jerseys are very popular among common fans who are just looking for a cool way to rep their favorite team and player. Authentic jerseys are more popular among serious fans or jersey collectors who don’t mind paying a higher price to have a premium piece of fan apparel.
I own and review all of the 3 types of NHL fan jerseys, and the Fanatics Breakaway jerseys are the jersey type that I recommend as the best jersey option for common fans who are simply looking to buy a jersey to wear to a game or to a watch party. The Fanatics Breakaway jerseys look very similar to the Adidas Authentic jerseys, and also allow you to save a bit of money.
This is where you can browse the Fanatics Breakaway jerseys at NHLShop.com to check out what they look like for your favorite team (affiliate link takes you to NHLShop.com).
Fanatics Breakaway jersey sizing
The Fanatics Breakaway jerseys use a standard small-medium-large sizing system. Like all fan jerseys, the Fanatics Breakaway jersey run very large in comparison to normal clothes.
They are made with room to layer, so if you are not wanting to layer your jesrey, you will need to size down. The women’s version does not have quite as much room built-in, but will still fit looser and baggier than normal clothes.
I typically wear a size medium for all t-shirts. This is a look at me wearing a size medium t-shirt:
Because of this I also ordered a size medium for the Fanatics Breakaway jersey. Here is a look at me wearing the size medium Breakaway:
As you can see, the Fanatics Breakaway jersey has a loose and baggy fit. If you do not plan to layer it, size down. Here is a look at my size medium Fanatics Breakaway jersey compared to a medium Hanes undershirt straight out of the package:
Fanatics Breakaway vs Adidas Authentic jersey
If you are looking for a team NHL fan jersey, you choice will come down to the Fanatics Breakaway vs Adidas Authentic jerseys. The only other type of NHL fan jersey is the Adidas Practice jersey, which is an alternate style practice themed jersey that does not look like the standard team jersey.
The argument between Fanatics Breakaway and Adidas Authentic comes down to how much quality you demand in a jersey. As I mentioned earlier, which jersey makes the most sense for you often comes down to this:
- Adidas Authentic – This is the jersey for serious fans and jersey collectors who are looking for the most premium piece of fan apparel regardless of price.
- Fanatics Breakaway – This is the best jersey (in my opinion) for most fans who are simply looking for a cool way to rep their favorite player or team. It looks very similar to the authentic version, and costs less.
Let’s take a look at some of the differences in the jerseys that I own. In this first group of pictures, the Fanatics Breakaway jersey is on the left, the Adidas Authentic jersey on the right:
The Adidas Authentic jersey has sewn-on graphics while the Fanatics Breakaway has a combination of sewn-on graphics and heat-sealed graphics. Overall, as I have said, the appearance is quite similar and nobody other than jersey enthusiasts would notice a difference when you wore it.
Here are a few more comparison photos (Adidas Authentic on the left, Fanatics Breakaway on the right):
The Adidas Authentic jerseys are made with adizero and climalite technology which helps make the jersey breathable and lightweight. In my opinion, both jerseys are comfortable to wear and neither made me feel overheated even when I layer them.
Both jerseys fit baggy, but the Fanatics Breakaway jerseys are a bit slimmer through the waist, a little bit shorter in length, and have slimmer sleeves (although the sleeves are still loose-fitting). Here is my Fanatics Breakaway on top of my Adidas authentic:
Where to Buy NHL Jerseys?
This is where you can browse the entire collection of jerseys at NHLShop.com to compare prices and styles (affiliate link takes you to NHLShop.com). NHLShop.com is the official online shop of the NHL – you can buy from them with confidence knowing you aren’t getting scammed.