In this article we will discuss the 3 best times to buy NBA jerseys. I own and review all 5 types of NBA jerseys, so I have had plenty of experience buying them. Quickly, here’s what you need to know:
- Nike Swingman – This is Nike’s more affordable replica option. These are very popular among fans. Great option if you don’t want to pay up for the authentic jerseys. Slim fit, if you prefer baggy, I’d size up. Click here to view the Nike Swingman jerseys at NBAStore.com (affiliate link takes you to NBAStore.com).
- Nike Authentic – These are the authentic jerseys. These jerseys have all the premium finishes, including stitched numbers and graphics. They have a slim fit, and you will need to size up if you prefer a baggy fit. Click here to view the Nike Authentic jerseys at NBAStore.com (affiliate link takes you to NBAStore.com).
- Fanatics Fast Break Jersey – Another affordable replica jersey. It is made by Fanatics, not Nike. If you are operating on a tight budget, I suggest checking it out. This jersey has a true-to-size regular fit. Click here to view the Fanatics Fast Break jerseys at NBAStore.com (affiliate link takes you to NBAStore.com).
- Mitchell & Ness Swingman – Mitchell & Ness makes classic throwback jerseys. The Swingman version is the more affordable option, but these jerseys still have awesome quality, including stitched graphics on most jerseys. This jersey is not as slim as the Nike jerseys. I recommend ordering your normal sizing. Click here to view the Mitchell & Ness Swingman throwback collection at NBAStore.com (affiliate link takes you to NBAStore.com).
- Mitchell & Ness Authentic – These are also authentic jerseys, but Mitchell & Ness only makes throwback jerseys. If you want the authentic jersey of a current player, you will need to stick with the Nike Authentic jerseys we discussed earlier. These authentic throwbacks are some of the most coveted fan jerseys. Click here to view the Mitchell & Ness Authentic jerseys at NBAStore.com (affiliate link takes you to NBAStore.com).
This is the jersey type that I recommend as best fan jersey due to its combination of price, comfort, and style (affiliate link takes you to NBAStore.com). But deciding when to buy can be an important issue for some fans.
Some jerseys styles can be quite expensive and with the current NBA landscape that has superstar players regularly changing teams, finding the right time to buy is critical so that you get a good price and also know the player will not be switching teams via free agency or trade soon. Here are the 3 best times to buy NBA jerseys:
- Start of NBA Season
- Black Friday and Holiday Season
- After Draft/Free Agency
If you are hoping to buy your jersey during a discount sale, NBAStore.com (the official online shop of the NBA) does run sales throughout the year. This is where you can check to see if there are any current promotions being offered at NBAStore.com (affiliate link takes you to NBAStore.com).
***Don’t forget, we also have other NBA apparel reviews, like the Mitchell and Ness Swingman throwback jersey pictured below. If you want to check out the collection of Mitchell and Ness throwback jerseys, you can do so by clicking on this link (affiliate link takes you to NBAStore.com). To read our reviews, visit our NBA jersey resource page.
Best Time to Buy NBA Jerseys
If you are trying to time your jersey purchase to match up with discount sales we will discuss that more below, but you will also want to be aware of the time of year. The NBA landscape present day is very volatile.
Gone are the days of superstars spending their entire careers with one team. Many superstars switch teams and are attracted to rising “super teams” around the league, where they can team up with other superstars.
Because of this, we not only see players on the move frequently in free agency, but also via trade. I say that to say this: make sure your favorite player won’t be on the move soon.
Obviously, you can’t predict everything, but there are certain times of the year where it might be a bit safer for you to invest in a jersey and feel confident the player won’t be leaving anything soon. Let’s discuss this with a bit more depth.
Buying NBA Jerseys After Draft and Free Agency
The end of June and beginning of July is a very volatile time in the NBA. The draft happens in late June, and free agency begins the week after. This is when players are on the move and rosters are re-shaped.
If you buy a jersey during this time period, make sure the star player isn’t possibly on the move via free agency or trade. In general, waiting until the dust settles is never a bad idea.
By mid to late July, most NBA rosters have, in large part, found their shape. At that point you should be able to buy with a reasonable amount of confidence that your favorite player will not be on the move in the short term.
Buying NBA jerseys in late July and early August allows you to see the roster, make sure your favorite player is still part of the team, and buy the jersey. There are, of course, certain mega-superstars who are relatively safe year-round to buy a jersey for simply because the franchise would not be willing to part with them.
A player like Steph Curry is entrenched in Golden State. He is a superstar playing for a successful franchise. The chances of them ever parting ways is very slim, especially while he is still in his peak performance years.
The takeaway should be this: make sure you are certain that the player you want has a future with the franchise to avoid wasting your money. Some players in the league have solid foundations with teams, but many do not. Knowing the player’s contract status and roster shape and future of the team helps.
Buying NBA Jerseys at the Start of the Season
From a fan’s perspective, the start of the NBA season is a great time to buy a jersey. Fan enthusiasm is very high in anticipation of the season, and it is a perfect time to show off your passion for the team with a jersey.
It also gives you more opportunities to wear the jersey immediately. Games and watch parties are happening as the season starts, so you can immediately break out the jersey and wear it. If you buy in the off-season, the jersey may collect some dust until the season comes around.
Best Time to Buy NBA Jerseys on Discount
If you are operating on a budget, and wanting to buy a jersey but save a bit of money too, here are your options:
- Wait Until Holiday Season – Black Friday through Christmas is a good time to shop for NBA jerseys because many places are running sales. Unfortunately, this means you will be waiting until the middle of the season to get your jersey. This isn’t what I would want, but this may be your best bet if trying to find a big sale.
- Check Periodically for Sales – NBAStore.com will run sales throughout the year. You could commit to checking back until you find a discount sale that works for you. This is where you can check to see if NBAStore.com is currently running a discount (affiliate link takes you to NBAStore.com). Discount sales will be advertised on the front of the site.
- Check Clearance – NBAStore.com also has clearance NBA apparel. It does not hurt to check the clearance items to see if they have something that works for you. This is where you can browse the clearance items at NBAStore.com (affiliate link takes you to NBAStore.com).
- Buy Budget-friendly Jersey – Fanatics Brand makes a budget-friendly jersey (Fanatics Fast Break Jersey) that might better fit your price range. This is the current price of the Fanatics Fast Break jerseys at NBAStore.com (affiliate link takes you to NBAStore.com). Here is a look at the Fanatics Fast Break jersey that I own. If you want to read more, visit my Fast Break jersey review.
Buying NBA Jerseys: My Advice
I have several review and comparison NBA jersey articles, which can be accessed by clicking here. If you don’t want to spend time reading through all of them, here is what I recommend:
Best NBA fan jersey: Nike Swingman
The Nike Swingman is, in my opinion, the best NBA fan jersey when you factor in price, comfort, and style. It does not have all the premium finishes of the Nike Authentics, but the Swingman still looks very nice, and comes in at a more affordable price point. This is the current price of the Nike Swingman jerseys at NBAStore.com (affiliate link takes you to NBAStore.com).
Where to Buy NBA Jerseys?
This is where you can browse the jerseys at NBAStore.com (affiliate link takes you to NBAStore.com). Because there are potentially fake jerseys on the re-sale market, we always recommend you to buy your jerseys from a reputable source like NBAStore.com, which is the official online shop of the NBA.