Tailgating tents don’t have to be a hassle. We all want something that is easy to transport, has dependable coverage, and doesn’t take 30 minutes to assemble. That’s what I love about the Coleman Instant Canopy Tent for tailgating is it can be setup in as quickly as 3 minutes, and has an easy fold-down frame that makes the tear down process less timely.
*This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (info)
These are our choices for the best canopy tents for tailgating:
- Coleman 10×10 Canopy Tailgating Tent with Instant Setup (click here to view)
- ABCCanopy 10×15 Pop up Party Tailgating Tent with Enclosure Walls (click here to view)
- Coleman Shelter 7×5 Instant Canopy Tent for Tailgating (click here to view)
- NFL Canopy Tents for Tailgating (click here to view)
- Eurmax 10×10 Pop Up Tent with Zipper Sidewalls (click here to view)
- American Phoenix Large 10×20 Pop Up Canopy Tent for Tailgating (click here to view)
Obviously one of the first things you will need to consider when buying a tent for tailgating is just how big you need to the tent to be. Most standard tailgating tents are 10×10 feet and work well for small to medium sized tailgating parties. Remember, some stadiums have restrictions on how large the tent can be, so be sure to check before purchase.
These tailgating tents help protect you from the sun, rain, and other elements, but if you will be fighting strong winds, make sure you buy sandbags or other types of tent weights to help stabilize the legs of your tent.
As I mentioned earlier, I tend to prioritize ease of setup as much as possible. I like the Coleman Instant Pop-Up Tent because it just takes me a few minutes to set it up and tear it down. In this article let’s discuss the best tents for tailgating, including tailgating tents with sidewalls, so you can find the best option for your needs.
6 Best Tents for Tailgating
Coleman 10×10 Canopy Tailgating Tent with Instant Setup
Think quick and easy setup in minutes – that’s what you get with this Coleman tailgating tent. And that was the number one factor for choosing our recommendation for best tailgating tent: we wanted something reliable that was EASY and quick to setup and take down that still made sense financially.
Here is what this tent looks like:
This is the current price of this Coleman tailgating tent available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you are facing to get this tent setup and ready to go:
First, all you need to do is pull out the accordion-style, 1-piece frame until it reaches its maximum extension. Second, simply extend the telescoping poles until they lock into place. Third, use the lower grip to adjust the canopy’s height. Then you have your tent in place and ready to go.
As a welcome bonus, the ergonomic, comfort grips are pinch-free, so you won’t get the tips of your fingers pinched in between the clamps when you set the tent up.
And in regards to element protection, this tailgating tent is made with UVGuard material for sun protection and comes with ground stakes and pre-attached guy lines so that you can stake it down if you are on ground.
If you are tailgating on asphalt, you can secure this tent down with sand bags, which will have to be purchased separately. The sand bags are not necessarily needed, but will be if the forecast calls for extreme winds.
Here are the notable features of this tent:
- Our choice: Best Tent for Tailgating
- 1-piece frame
- Quick Setup
- Telescoping poles
- UVGuard Sun Protective material
- Ground stakes and pre-attached guy lines included
- 9 feet 4 inches center height
- Polyguard 2X double-thick fabric
- Wheeled carry bag
- Pinch-free adjustability
- 10 x 10 Feet Dimensions
- 35.5 pounds
- 2-way roof vents for air circulation
- Side Walls can be added
- Sand Bag weights can be added
ABCCanopy 10×15 Pop up Party Tailgating Tent with Enclosure Walls
This ABCCanopy tent for tailgating is another great option that is more of a premium option. It’s a bigger tent that can work well for medium to large size tailgating parties.
Here is what this tent looks like:
This is the current price of this tailgating tent available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this tent:
- Material – This tent is made of extremely heavy-duty material, and offers enclosure walls to protect you from the elements. But if this is the best tent on the market, why wasn’t it our recommendation? Well, for three reasons:
- Size – This tent is 10 x 15 ft. This will be either a positive or negative depending on your specific situation. But for many tailgaters, this will simply be too large for the amount of space they have, and also may exceed the maximum size allowed for a tailgating tent by the host stadium.
- Setup Time – This tent will take more time to setup than the recommend Coleman 10 x 10 tent featured above.
But if you are looking for a large tent that has exceptional weather protection, this tent is the one for you. The canopy is made of thick, durable polyester with a polyurethane lining, which are combined with heat-sealed seams to make this tent 100% waterproof.
The cool thing about this tent is the enclosure walls can removed so that if the weather is perfect, you can let the breeze blow through. It also comes with half walls for the sides if you are wanting just part of the side enclosed.
There are a lot of features included with this tent:
- (1) Back Wall
- (2) Full Side Walls
- (2) Half Side Walls
- (1) Front-Side Door Wall
- (4) Sandbags
- (4) Ropes
- (4) Stakes
- Wheeled Roller Carry Case
- Heat-Sealing Tape on Seams
- Banner Loops to Add Custom Name
- Waterproof Fabric
- Double-line Sewing for Added Strength
- Powder-coated Steel Frame
- Velcro Roll-Up Door
- 87.9 pounds Item Weight
It is worth noting that this tent weighs over 80 pounds, and will possibly need two people to carry it and set it up. This is another drawback to having a tent of this size.
But the good news is, if you are up to the task, you will likely draw attention to your tailgate because this tent is better than the other tents on the market.
Ultimately you will have to decide whether or not this tent makes sense for your budget, and for your tailgating space. It might be a bit of an overkill if you just have a small tailgate, but if you host 10+ people, this will be a great option, especially if you battle rain, snow, and/or cold winds and want enclosure walls for protection.
Coleman Shelter 7×5 Instant Canopy
Like our recommendation at the top of the article, this Coleman pop-up tent also sets up in just a few minutes, but this tent is smaller. For some, this might be a good thing, especially if the stadium has size restrictions for tents.
Here is what this tent looks like:
This is the current price of this tent for tailgating available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this tent:
Again, this tent is only 7 x 5 when the recommended tent above is 10 x 10. This actually might work out better for you. Some stadiums require tents to be smaller than 8 x 8, so if your stadium does have a tailgating tent size restriction, this might be your best option.
It is made of UPF 50+ UV guard material, eliminating concern about protecting yourself from the damaging rays of the sun. Additionally, set up within three minutes is made possible by the lightweight, telescoping poles that allow you to pop-up the canopy without having to reach over your head.
Finally, the included storage bag has wheels, making transporting your tent that much easier. Again, since many stadiums restrict larger tents, it is recommended that you find out your stadium’s specific policies.
But since this tent is smaller, taller people may not be able to stand under it comfortably. Our first, recommended, Coleman tent has a center height of 9 feet 4 inches. This tent has a 6 foot, 11 inch center height, which of course is much lower near the edges of the tent.
Here are the notable features of this tailgating tent:
- 3-step 3-minute pop-up setup
- Wheeled carry bag
- 35 sq. ft.
- 7 X 5 feet
- UV Guard heavy-duty material
- Small enough to meet most stadium requirements
- Steel stakes (included)
- Telescoping poles
NFL Canopy Tents for Tailgating
NFL: If you are looking for a tailgating tent that has your team logo on it, this is the tent for you.
These team-themed tents for tailgating are a fun addition to a tailgate, but beware that the overall durability of these tents is not as good as some of the other tents on this list. They will not handle great in the wind, so you will likely need to purchase sandbags or weights to hold them down (we have some recommended weights at the bottom of the article).
The good news is these tents tend to be very easy to setup, and are lightweight and easy to transport (in comparison to some of the larger premium tents on the market).
Eurmax 10×10 Pop Up Tent with Zipper Sidewalls
The ABCCanopy premium tent featured earlier is a great tent at keeping you protected from the elements, but if you are looking for another weather-protection tent (maybe smaller and at a little cheaper cost), then this Eurmax Sidewall tent will be a good option for you.
Eurmax has designed a heavy-duty, commercial-grade, canopy tent that delivers protection from most outdoor weather issues you might encounter while tailgating. For instance, in terms of the fabric, it is comprised of 500D polyester. The polyester is PU coated to block up to 99 percent of harmful UV rays.
Additionally, when it comes to rain, you can be sure you will remain dry. The fabric is water resistant and the sealed seams on all of the stitching lines ensure water cannot penetrate, making this tent waterproof. In addition to providing a comfortable shelter, rain or shine, this tailgating canopy is also certified CPAI-84 fire-retardant, which is a nice bonus.
Here are some of the notable features with this tent:
- 4 x Sidewalls
- 1 x Roller Bag
- 4 x Weight Bags
- CPAI-84 fire retardant certificated
- 10×10 ft
- Material blocks 99% UV sun rays
- Name banner sleeve to customize
- Powder-coated frame
- Wheeled carrying case
- 68 pounds
American Phoenix Large 10×20 Pop Up Canopy Tent for Tailgating
Okay, if you need a LOT of space, here is the tent for you. This American Phoenix 10 x 20 tent will give you a lot of space to host and also has a peak height over 10 feet tall which will make it feel even larger.
The good news is that although this is a large tent, it is still a pop-up tent, so setup time is still very minimal. Overall, in my opinion, the cost is very reasonable considering you get double the amount of space that most tents for tailgating offer.
It comes with four adjustable heights to ensure everyone enjoys enough space while tailgating. The steel frame is coated with a corrosion and rust-resistant powder. Additionally, the water-resistant, 200D, PVC coating provides shelter from the rain, ensuring this tent should last from season to season. Side walls will need to be purchased separately with this tent if you are looking for some added weather protection.
Buying the Best Tent for Tailgating: 5 Things to Consider
- Size – This is a two-pronged answer, because you will need to know what size your party needs, but you will also need to know if your host stadium has any specific size restrictions. So be sure to research beforehand.
- Weather – Are you wanting side walls for added weather protection against things link rain, snow, and cold wind? They can be a great addition and make tailgating more enjoyable, but they will also add to setup time and increase the overall cost of the tent. You may also want to look into heated jackets if you are planning to tailgate in the cold.
- Setup Time – My recommendation is to stick to pop up tents. They are just so much easier to deal with in both setup and tear down. Even many larger tents are pop up so this should not restrict your options.
- Peak Height – One easy thing to neglect is the peak height of the tent. Short tents can be a hassle if you have several tall members in your party. Be sure to at least consider how tall the tent is and if it will cause an issue.
- Wind – Wind will always be an issue at some point throughout a tailgating season, so I recommend making sure – up front – that you have a solution. Many tents for tailgating come with sand bags and tie down ropes. Here is a word of caution though: the tie down ropes can be dangerous because they are hard to notice at times. This means they become tripping hazards. Here is a little trick: take brightly-colored pool flotation noodles and slice them and slide them over the tie-down rope so that they will be noticed by those passing by.
Tailgating Tent Accessories
Here are a few things that you can add on to your tailgating tent if it makes sense for your situation:
- NFL Shelter Side Panel: If your tent does not have side walls and you are wanting some protection, here is a shelter side panel available at (affiliate link) that can let you show off team pride. Of course, make sure this will properly fit your tent before you purchase.
- Canopy Weights – If you need some added weight to help hold your tent in place, these canopy weights at (affiliate link) that come with a easy carry strap will be a nice solution.
- Tailgate Games – If you want to buy a tailgating game that is sure to provide entertainment for everyone at the party then cornhole is a great option.
- Fire Pits – A fire pit is a great way to bring life to your tailgate and they can even double as a grill. Fire pits for tailgating are great for night games and also provide a nice heat source if it starts getting cold outside.
- String Lights – You can make your tailgate pop and add some extra lighting for after the sun goes down by buying a set of string lights. Be sure to make sure your tent is compatible with string lights first.
- Add the Perfect Table and Chairs – The tent is only step 1 – another important step is to add the right type of hosting table and chairs. If you are interested in our recommendations, you can read our articles about the best tables for tailgating and the best chairs for tailgating.
- Cold Weather – Is winter on its way? Have you considered using a portable propane heater. Some of these heaters can give off close to the same amount of heat as a backyard fire pit. If you want to consider a heater, you can read our article on the best heaters for tailgating by clicking the link.
- Power – Is your generator too loud? We have a recommended list of the best quiet generators for tailgating which you can read by clicking the link. Our recommended quiet generator has a decibel level of only 51 dB at quarter load, which is quieter than the average conversation. This may save you the pain of having to apologize to the nearby tailgates.
- TV Setup – We also have an article about the best tailgate TV setup, including photos of the DISH Playmaker that we use and recommend.
- Upgrade Your Cooler – If you are using tents for tailgating to help beat the heat, have you also thought about upgrading to a YETI cooler for better ice preservation on those brutally hot August and September days? Here is our list of best coolers for tailgating this year.