This is a Nike Authentic NBA jersey review. I own and review all the types of NBA fan jerseys (Nike, Mitchell & Ness, Fanatics). Quickly, here’s what you need to know about all the NBA fan jerseys available:
- Nike Swingman – This is Nike’s more affordable replica option. These are very popular among fans, but they are not embroidered. Great option if you don’t want to pay up for the embroidered authentic jerseys. Slim fit, if you prefer baggy, size up. Click here to view the Nike Swingman jerseys at NBAStore.com (affiliate link takes you to NBAStore.com).
- Nike Authentic – These are the authentic jerseys. These jerseys have all the premium finishes, including stitched numbers and graphics. They have a slim fit, and you will need to size up if you prefer a baggy fit. Click here to view the Nike Authentic jerseys at NBAStore.com (affiliate link takes you to NBAStore.com).
- Fanatics Fast Break Jersey – Another affordable replica jersey. It is made by Fanatics, not Nike. If you are operating on a tight budget, I suggest checking it out. These are not stitched. This jersey has a true-to-size regular fit. Click here to view the Fanatics Fast Break jerseys at NBAStore.com (affiliate link takes you to NBAStore.com).
- Mitchell & Ness Swingman – Mitchell & Ness makes classic throwback jerseys. The Swingman version is the more affordable option, but these jerseys still have awesome quality, including stitched graphics on most jerseys. This jersey is not as slim as the Nike jerseys. I recommend ordering your normal sizing. Click here to view the Mitchell & Ness Swingman throwback collection at NBAStore.com (affiliate link takes you to NBAStore.com).
- Mitchell & Ness Authentic – These are also throwback authentic jerseys. They are stitched. These authentic throwbacks are some of the most coveted fan jerseys. Click here to view the Mitchell & Ness Authentic jerseys at NBAStore.com (affiliate link takes you to NBAStore.com).
This is the jersey type that I recommend as best NBA fan jersey due to it’s combination of comfort, quality, and style (affiliate link takes you to NBAStore.com).
In this article I will review the Nike Authentic NBA jersey that I own. The Authentic jerseys are popular because many fans want embroidered graphics (the swingman jerseys do not have embroidered graphics).
Nike Authentic jerseys are the closest you can get as a fan to wearing what the players wear on the court. The jock tag says they are “Engineered to the exact specifications of championship athletes”. They have an athletic slim fit that mimics the style of fit the players wear.
Nike Authentic jerseys are the highest quality of jersey you can own. The only reason I don’t recommend them as the best jersey for most NBA fans to buy is because of price. For most fans, the Swingman might be the better option.
The Authentic jerseys have all the premium finishes that the players’ jerseys have, and so they also have a higher price point than other jerseys. In this article we will discuss:
- How much do Nike Authentic jerseys cost?
- How do Nike Authentic jerseys fit?
- What features do Nike Authentic jerseys have?
I will also include several photos of the Nike Authentic jersey that I own so that you can see how it fits. Let’s begin this Nike Authentic NBA jersey review by talking about reasons to buy.
Should you Buy?
Here are 2 reasons to buy the Nike Authentic jersey, and 1 reason not to buy the Nike Authentic Jersey
2 Reason to Buy the Nike Authentic Jersey:
- It is the best piece of NBA fan apparel you can own since it is made with the same specifications of the players’ jerseys. If you are looking to show your fan pride, this is the most premium way to do it in NBA apparel.
- Nike Authentics have a Nike Connect chip built in to the jock tag, which gives you digital access to player and team specific scores, stats, highlights and other extras (more on that below)
1 Reason Not to Buy the Nike Authentic Jersey:
- The Nike Swingman jerseys, although not authentic jerseys, look very similar to the players’ jerseys, have Nike Connect, and cost much less than the Nike Authentic jerseys. This is what the Nike Swingman jerseys look like (affiliate link takes you to NBAStore.com).
So your decision to buy a Nike Authentic jersey may come down to whether or not you want to pay more for the premium material and authentic finishes, or save a bit of money and buy the Nike Swingman.
The Nike Swingman jerseys might not be true, authentic jerseys, but they still look very similar to the players’ jerseys and might better fit the budget. If you want to read more about the Swingman, visit our Nike Swingman jersey review.
Here is a look at my Nike Authentic (left) sitting next to my Nike Swingman (right):
Later in the article we will discuss some of the premium features that the Nike Authentic jerseys have that the Nike Swingman jerseys do not. I will include photos of the jerseys I own.
Nike Authentic NBA Jersey Review: Cost
This is the current price of the Nike Authentic jerseys at NBAStore.com (affiliate link takes you to NBAStore.com). NBAStore.com is the official online shop of the NBA, so you can buy from them with confidence knowing you are not getting scammed.
Because Nike Authentic jerseys are so valuable, there are potential fakes out there, so I would recommend buying from a trusted source if at all possible, and avoid buying used Authentic jerseys unless you are certain it is real.
How Do Nike Authentic Jerseys Fit?
Nike Authentic jerseys run true to size, but have an athletic, slim fit to mimic the fit of the players’ jerseys. If you prefer a loose fitting jersey, you will need to size up at least one size.
The NBA on-court jerseys have been trending towards a slim, athletic fit for the better part of a decade now. Gone are the days of loose-fitting tops, and so if you prefer a relaxed, baggy fit, then you will need to size up.
The jersey is very snug through the shoulders and chest area, but because the material is soft and stretches, it doesn’t feet like you’re wearing a straitjacket. Despite being slim and snug, it is quite comfortable.
Nike Authentic Jersey Sizing
The Nike Authentic jerseys use numerical sizing instead of the standard small-medium-large sizing. Here is how the sizing works:
- Size 40 = Small
- Size 44 = Medium
- Size 48 = Large
- Size 52 = XL
- Size 56 = XXL
- Size 58 = 3XL
The Nike Authentic jerseys also have more length than Nike Swingman jerseys do. For example, here is my size 44 Nike Authentic (on left) sitting next to my size medium Nike Swingman (on right).
As you can see there is a couple extra inches in length even though a size 44 is the equivalent through the chest of a size medium.
This is where you can view an official size chart for the Nike Authentic jerseys (affiliate link takes you to NBAStore.com). That link takes you to the Nike Authentic product page at NBAStore.com, where you can click on the size chart linked just above the available sizes.
In summary, expect the Nike Authentic NBA jerseys to fit slim. They are fitted through the chest, and slim through the stomach.
They have extra length in comparison to the Nike Swingman jerseys. If you prefer a baggy, loose fit, you probably need to size up.
Here is my size 44 (medium equivalent) Nike Authentic compared to a medium Hanes undershirt straight out of the package:
As you can see, the size 44 Nike Authentic jerseys run just a touch bigger than a medium undershirt (with more length). This should give you an idea on sizing.
***Don’t forget, we also have other NBA apparel reviews, like the Mitchell and Ness Swingman throwback jersey pictured below. If you want to check out the collection of Mitchell and Ness throwback jerseys, you can do so by clicking on this link (affiliate link takes you to NBAStore.com). To read our reviews, visit our NBA jersey resource page.
NBA Nike Authentic Jersey Review: Features
The Nike Authentic jerseys are the closest you can get as a fan to wearing what the players wear on the court.
When you buy an Nike Authentic jersey, you are buying what the players wear, minus a few details like the sponsor logo patch that the players’ jerseys have (sponsor logo not available in most jerseys).
The material, feel, and finishes will be the same as the players’ jerseys. Here are the features you can expect with your Nike Authentic jersey, followed by photos my Nike Authentic jersey.
- Nike Connected implanted chip in jock tag, which gives you digital access to player and team specific scores, stats, highlights and other extras (more on that below)
- Open venting at bottom sides for freedom of movement and comfort
- Heat-sealed NBA logo on back neckline, and franchise’s championship gold-number badge on back neck collar
- Lightweight, quick-drying fabric that features ventilation throughout the jersey (photos below)
- Machine washable made with 100% recycled polyester
- Some editions feature a unique team tagline stitched above the jock tag
In this photo you can see several features of the Nike Authentic jersey that I own:
- The Nike Connect chip built-in to jock tag
- The unique team tagline stitched above the jock tag
- The material ventilation running up the side of the jersey
- The side vents built-in for added mobility
Nike Authentic NBA Connected Jersey
The Nike Authentic jersey is a Nike Connected jersey – what does that mean?
A Nike Connected jersey is a digitally-enabled jersey that is intended to further enhance your fan connection to the game by giving you access to player and team specific scores, stats, and highlights by combining your Nike Connected jersey with the Nike Connect App (source).
Nike Connected jerseys (like the Nike Authentic and Nike Swingman) have a chip in the jock tag (see my picture below). To pair your jersey with your eligible smart phone, you simply download the Nike Connect app, then when the app is up on your screen, you tap your phone against the jock tag on the jersey (which has the built-in chip).
This allows the Nike Connect app to tailor your app experience to the team and player of the jersey you own. So when I connect my Embiid jersey to the Nike Connect app, I go to an Embiid-focused page that gives me access to current Philadephia 76ers scores and stats, Embiid highlights, game recaps, and other team and player focused rewards and offers.
Another benefit of the Nike Connect jerseys is it is a way to identify fake jerseys (because the fakes don’t have the built-in chip). Fake jerseys can be a problem for authentic jerseys because they are so valuable, and so this built-in chip gives you another way to feel confident your jersey is authentic and not fake.
This is also why I suggest buying from a trusted source, for example NBAStore.com, which is the official online shop of the NBA.
NBA Nike Authentic Jersey Review: Photos
Here are the pictures of the Nike Authentic jersey that I own. I am 6’3″ 200 pounds and own a size 44, which is the equivalent of a medium. Also, for reference, here I am wearing a medium t-shirt:
As you can see the Nike Authentic jersey has an athletic, slim fit. It is snug through the chest, sitting against the skin, and a little looser, but still slim, through the stomach area. If you prefer a loose fit, size up.
There is a lot of authentic detail that sets the Nike Authentic jersey apart from the Nike Swingman. It has sewn-on letters and numbers on the front and back (Nike Swingman does not).
It features the franchise’s championship gold-number badge on back neckline. Some editions also have a team tagline (like “Brotherly Love” for the PHI jerseys shown above) stitched above the jock tag.
The material is 100% recycled polyester and is a stretch fabric, which makes it very comfortable to wear even though it is a slim fit. The Nike Authentic jerseys feature vented paneling across the material, meaning that the look of the material changes throughout the jersey.
For example, the side and the chest have ventilation built-in for added comfort. See photos above how ventilation changes on sides and near front-chest letters. This is a feature the Nike Swingman jerseys do not have.
Nike Authentic NBA Jersey Review: Summary
The Nike Authentic jerseys are engineered with the exact specifications of the jerseys the players wear, making them the most premium piece of NBA fan apparel you can own. Because of this they are both in high demand, and more expensive than other jerseys.
But there is a lot of quality in these jerseys that separate them from other options on the market. The material is a stretch material with built-in ventilation for added comfort.
The side hems of the jersey have vents built in for added mobility. The jersey features sewn-on numbers and letters, and has the franchises’ championship gold-numbered badge on the back neck collar.
Nike Authentic jerseys do run slim. I did not have to size up, but it was close. If you are in between sizes, I recommend sizing up. If you want a loose fit, you will need to size up.
The Nike Authentic jerseys also feature the Nike Connect chip built-in to the jock tag which gives you access to player and team specific scores, stats, and highlights. Because the Nike Authentic jerseys are so valuable, there are fakes out there, so I recommend buying from a trusted source.
To read about other NBA fan jerseys and apparel (we do real reviews), you can visit our NBA Jersey Resource Page.
Where to Buy?
This is where you can browse the entire selection of Nike Authentic jerseys at NBAStore.com (affiliate link takes you to NBAStore.com). Because these are so valuable, I would recommend buying them from a reputable source like NBAStore.com, or a team pro shop.