A great and fun way to show your team pride at your next tailgating party is to fly your team’s flag. The problem with a lot of options you will find is they don’t stand up to wind or they are very hard to use.
I like the Flagpole-To-Go ultimate package flagpole for tailgating because it is made from aluminum which makes it lightweight but also sturdy. It also has the convenience of a tire mount base, which means once the flagpole in place you can drive your car onto the base of the flagpole to ensure it stays in place.
*This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.(info)
These are our choices for best flagpoles for tailgating:
- Flagpole-To-Go Ultimate Tailgating Flagpole (click here to view)
- Sports Flags Pennants Tailgating Portable Flagpole (click here to view)
- Valley Forge Portable Flagpole for Tailgating (click here to view)
- Yeshom Telescopic Aluminum Flagpole for Tailgating (click here to view)
- Vispronet Aluminum Tailgating Flagpole Kit (click here to view)
- *RV* FlagPole Buddy RV Flagpole for Tailgating (click here to view)
- Camco Portable Flagpole for tailgating with US Flag (click here to view)
One of the fist things you are going to need to decide on is how tall you want your flag to fly at your tailgate. Some flagpoles out there are less than 10 feet tall while others can extend over 20 feet. Almost all flagpoles are adjustable to different heights as well.
I personally prefer my tailgate flagpole to be around 10-12 feet tall. To me, this is plenty high enough to proudly support my team but not too tall that I have to worry about the weather very much. Of course, you always want to pay attention during extremely windy days.
You will also need to look into buying your flag on your own. Most flagpoles don’t come with a flag, and if they do, it usually is the American flag. So when you buy your tailgating flagpole, you will want to buy your team flag as well.
Something else to decide on is whether you want a flagpole that actually attaches to your vehicle, has its own stand or is held down by your car tire. In this article, let’s take a closer look at some tailgating flagpoles so we can figure out what best suites your needs. We will also discuss things to consider when buying your next flagpole for tailgating.
Best Portable Flagpoles for Tailgating and Outdoors
Flagpole-To-Go Ultimate Tailgating Flagpole
When you are setting up your tailgate party, convenience is key. When you buy this Flagpole-To-Go portable tailgating flagpole that is what you are getting. This flagpole is only 4 pounds and it folds up to just 4 feet for transporting. It is held down by a tire mount, so all you need to do is get it in place and drive your tire on it. It is also adjustable, with a maximum height of over 14 feet.
Here’s what this Flagpole-To-Go tailgating flagpole looks like:
This is the current price of this Flagpole-To-Go portable flagpole for tailgating available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this flagpole:
- Mounting Method– As mentioned, this is held down by a tire mount. This is simply a metal plate that you drive you car tire on that holds the flagpole in place. It is very convenient as the flagpole can be set up in just a couple minutes.
- Material– This flagpole is made from aluminum which is sturdy but also allows it to be very lightweight. The aluminum pole adjusts out to over 14 feet.
- Flag Attachment – This flagpole for tailgating attaches the flag to the pole with clips. It is designed to fly 3 feet by 5 feet flags, but the clips are adjustable.
Click here to buy this Flagpole-To-Go outdoor tailgating flagpole available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). You can fly up to two flags at time with this portable flagpole.
Sports Flags Pennants Tailgating Portable Flagpole and Tire Base
If you like flying numerous flags at once, then this flagpole is a great option. This tailgating flagpole can hold up to 4 flags at once and is held down by a tire mount, which is very convenient. Since it has so many flags, it can also extend out to about 23 feet. It collapses down to about 5 feet for transporting to your tailgate.
Here’s what this Sports Flags Pennants flagpole for tailgating looks like:
This is the current price of this Sports Flag Pennants outdoor flagpole available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this flagpole:
- Mounting Method– This flagpole has a tire mount base that is made from powder coated steel. The finish helps keep it weather resistant and from rusting.
- Material– The flagpole itself is made from aluminum which is both strong and lightweight. It has 6 different telescoping rods that can extend out to 23 feet.
- Flag Capacity – As mentioned, if you want to fly many flags at once, this is a great option. This flagpole for tailgating can fly up to 4 flags at the same time, and all the hardware to do so comes with the purchase.
Click here to buy this Sports Flag Pennants portable flagpole for tailgating available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). This outdoor flagpole comes with tangle free clips for added convenience.
Valley Forge Portable Flagpole for Tailgating
This flagpole is easy to set up and the carrying case makes it easy to keep it organized. The pole is made from fiberglass, so it is very lightweight and flexible. It is held down my by a metal tire mount and the flag attaches to the pole with hooks. It is designed for 3 feet by 5 feet flags.
Here’s what this looks Valley Forge portable tailgating flagpole looks like:
This is the current price of this Valley Forge portable flagpole for tailgating available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this flagpole:
- Transporting– There are 4 sections of this flagpole that fit nicely in the nylon carrying case. The case is very helpful for keeping track of all the hooks and sections while also making it very easy to carry to your tailgate party.
- Material– This portable flagpole is made from fiberglass has a maximum height of about 16 feet. It also comes with a metal tire mount for holding it in place while in use.
- Flag Attachment – This tailgating flagpole comes with swivel hooks that attach the flag to the pole. Flags need to have a grommet or metal ring for the hooks to clip through.
Click here to buy this outdoor flagpole for tailgating available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). This flagpole does not come with a flag, but Valley Forge does make flags in the United States available on Amazon as well.
Other Tailgating Flagpoles to Consider
- Yeshom Telescopic Aluminum Flagpole for Tailgating – One of the tallest tailgating flagpoles you will find, this one can extend out to 25 feet. It is made from heavy duty aluminum for added strength and that is also rust free. The flagpole is held down by a tire mount, which is very convenient. You can also fly 2 flags at the same time on this tailgating flagpole. Click here to view this Yeshom telescopic outdoor flagpole for tailgating at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- Vispronet Aluminum Tailgating Flagpole Kit – This flagpole comes in 5 sections that are about 50″ inches long, which makes it pretty easy to fit in most vehicles. It is made from aluminum and is held in place by a tire mount base. This tailgating flagpole comes with a rope for raising and lowering the flag. While it comes with hooks for attaching the flag, it doesn’t come with a flag, so you will have to buy that separately. Click here to view this Vispronet tailgating flagpole kit available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- FlagPole Buddy RV Flagpole for Tailgating – This flagpole is designed specifically for RV’s, as it attaches to a ladder or rack. It can also attach to larger vehicles with a rack on them. As long as you leave the holders attached to your vehicle, set up is a one time chore. The pole itself is collapses for easy storage and can expand out to 22 feet when in use. You can also fly 2 flags at once and the clips needed for that come with purchase. Click here to view this Flagpole Buddy RV flagpole for tailgating available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
6 Things To Consider When Buying a Flagpole for Tailgating
As mentioned, most of the portable flagpoles do not come with a flag. Even the ones that do, usually come with an American flag. So if you are wanting your teams flag, you will need to purchase that separately. You can find team flags from a variety of sources such as your local sporting goods store or on Amazon.
The key thing you need to pay attention to when buying your tailgating flag is how it attaches to the flagpole. You just want to make sure they are compatible, so you don’t have to cut a hole in your flag or something like that.
There are a few different options for mounting your portable flagpole for tailgating. One of the most common ways is for the flagpole to come with a stand that is held down by either a car tire. These are very convenient because anywhere your car is, you can have a portable flagpole as well. They are also very simple to use, as all you need to do is drive your car tire on the stand.
Another option is an actual stand kit such as a tri-pod. These stands usually aren’t that hard to put together, but they can be more cumbersome and usually aren’t able to support taller flagpoles. They are great options when you can’t get your car to the tailgate area though.
Some companies make flagpoles for tailgating that attach to your vehicle or RV. Typically you will need some type of ladder or rack to attach it to that is already mounted on your vehicle or RV. These can be quite convenient as well, but they aren’t for everyone. Not everyone has an RV nor a rack on their vehicle.
Flying one flag is great, but what if you want to fly multiple flags at the same time? Well some portable flagpoles for tailgating only allow you to fly one flag at a time. Understanding how many flags you plan on flying is important before buying your next tailgating flagpole. Most companies will specify how many flags you can fly at once and how they attach to the flag, like via clips or hooks.
Some people like to have the tallest tailgate flagpole at the game and others like a shorter flagpole. Whatever height you like, you will want to make sure you pay attention to what height the pole expands to. Some tailgating flagpoles are less than 10 feet while others extend over 20 feet. Whatever height you choose, make sure you have the equipment to keep it from blowing over.
Getting the flagpole set up and flag hung is the easy part.. Setting up the grill, tent, and TV can be much more difficult. If you are hosting a tailgate party, here are some of our other resources to help you get the party going in the right direction:
- Best Tailgating Quiet Generator
- TV Setup for Tailgating
- Best Satellite for Tailgating
- WIFI Setup at a Tailgate
- Best Tailgating Chairs
- Portable Heaters for Tailgating
- Best Cooler for Tailgating
- Best Tailgating Tents
- Best Tailgating tables
- Best Outdoor Chairs with Side Tables
Most stadiums allow fans to have a portable flagpole for tailgating. I have seen some stadiums allow any height while other stadiums have height limits. I have even been to some stadiums that have banned them completely. You will want to check with the stadium officials to see if there are any restrictions when you are buying your next tailgating flagpole.