As we all know, tailgating in a parking lot can get really hot, especially if you don’t have shade. Some tailgate parties don’t have tents or if they do, they aren’t big enough for everyone to sit under. That is where a tailgating chair with canopy comes in. I like the Alpha Camp chair for tailgating as it has an attached canopy that provides SPF 50 sun protection and the canopy can easily be taken down when it gets dark. This outdoor chair also folds up and comes with a carrying bag.
*This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (info)
These are our top choices for the best canopy chairs for tailgating:
- Alpha Camp Outdoor Tailgating Canopy Chair (click here to view)
- Sport-Brella Tailgating Chair with Canopy and Footrest (click here to view)
- Quik Shade Outdoor Folding Chair (click here to view)
- Alpha Camp Oversized Tailgating Chair with Shade Canopy (click here to view)
- Kelsyus Portable Folding Chair with Canopy (click here to view)
- Goplus Outdoor Canopy Chair for Tailgating (click here to view)
- Kelsyus Folding Canopy Chair with Weather Shield (click here to view)
- GCI Outdoor Tailgating Chair with SPF Canopy (click here to view)
When buying a canopy chair for tailgating, you want to make sure it actually gives you the shade you desire. There are a few different types of canopy shapes and materials to choose from. Also, many of the outdoor canopy chairs provide 50+ SPF protection, but you will want to check with the manufacturer.
As mentioned, finding shade at a tailgate can be quite difficult. Many tailgating parties don’t have a tent, or only have a small one that covers the food or shade for a few people. While tailgating is a lot of fun, sitting out under the sun in a parking lot can get extremely hot.
Some canopy chairs don’t have a big enough canopy, which results in partial shade. That is why I like the Alpha Camp outdoor tailgating canopy chair. It has a nice large canopy that provides plenty of shade for the entire chair.
In this article let’s take a closer look at the best portable canopy tailgate chairs so you can find an option that fits your needs. Let’s also discuss a few things to consider when choosing your next chair for tailgating.
Best Canopy Chair for Tailgating and Outdoors
Alpha Camp Outdoor Tailgating Canopy Chair
If your tailgate does not have a tent, or the tent is too small, this Alpha Camp tailgating chair with canopy might be a nice solution. The tailgating chair is a big spacious chair that folds up nicely into a transporting bag that comes with your purchase.
Here is what this Alpha Camp chair looks like:
This is the current price of this Alpha Camp tailgating chair with canopy available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this chair:
- Material – This foldable frame is made with powder-coated steel that is weather-resistant and durable. The mesh fabric is breathable for extra relief on those hot days.
- Canopy – This Alpha Camp Outdoor chair for tailgating has an attached canopy that provides UPF 50+ sun protection. The canopy is foldable, which allows you to easily take it down so you don’t look obnoxious sitting in a canopy chair once the sun goes down.
- Design – This tailgating canopy chair has a cup holder built into the right arm, and also has a neat mesh pocket on the left armrest where you can hold your phone or keys. Comes with an easy-carry bag for storage and transport. The chair itself weighs about 14 pounds.
Click here to buy this Alpha Camp chair with canopy available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). As mentioned, this portable tailgating chair as a rating of 50+ SPF for sun protection.
Sport-Brella Tailgating Chair with Canopy and Footrest
Tailgating can be an all day affair, and sometimes all you want to do is put your feet up and relax. That is exactly what the Sport-Brella canopy tailgating chair delivers. It comes with a detachable footrest and reclines fully. The canopy has a swivel for adjustment, meaning this chair will provide shade in any position.
Here is what this Sport-Brella Tailgating Chair looks like:
This is the current price of this Sport-Brella portable canopy chair for tailgating available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this chair:
- Material – This Sport-Brella outdoor chair as a foldable frame that is made from lightweight durable steel. The canopy has a metallic underside that is designed to help keep harmful UV rays off of you.
- Canopy – This canopy chair for tailgating provides 50 SPF protection. The canopy is detachable, so when you don’t need it you can take it off. The canopy has a 3 way swivel on it as well, so you can adjust it however needed to keep the sun off of you.
- Design – The detachable foot rest gives you the in-home recliner comfort you desire at your tailgate. This tailgating canopy chair also has an insulated pocket to keep up to 4 drinks cool. It has a cup holder as well as an additional mesh pocket for items like your keys and phone. The chair weighs about 10 pounds and has a weight limit up to 250 pounds.
Click here to buy this Sport-Brella canopy tailgate chair available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). As with many chairs, this has a 50 SPF sun protection canopy.
Quik Shade Outdoor Folding Canopy Chair
This Quick shade outdoor tailgating chair has a large canopy that gives off plenty of shade. The canopy is attached with two steel tubes that are easily adjustable. The canopy is also water and stain resistant, so you are good if it is raining or shining.
Here is what this Quik Shade canopy chair for tailgating looks like:
This is the current price of this Quik Shade canopy chair for tailgating available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this chair:
- Material – This tailgating chair has a foldable steel frame with a polyester canopy. The canopy is water and stain resistant. The cup holders are a mesh fabric, which is nice if you ever spill anything in them.
- Canopy – This Quik Shade outdoor tailgating chair has a large canopy that gives off plenty of shade. The canopy doesn’t attach, but you can get it out of the way by folding it down in the back.
- Design – This portable chair for tailgating has two mesh cup holders and a side pocket for any small items such as a phone or keys. The canopy is adjustable and the chair easily folds up to fit in the carrying bag that comes with the chair.
Click here to buy this Quik Shade canopy tailgate chair available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). The canopy is water resistant, which is great if it starts raining.
Other Canopy Tailgating Chairs to Consider
- Alpha Camp Oversized Tailgating Chair with Shade Canopy – This Alpha Camp canopy chair for tailgating has two cup holders with one being large enough for a 32 oz drink. It has a steel anti-rust frame that supports up to 350 pounds. It comes with a fabric canopy that protects you from the sun with a 50 SPF rating. This outdoor tailgating chairs folds down easily into the transport bag that comes with your purchase. Click here to view this Alpha Camp portable canopy chair for tailgating at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- Kelsyus Portable Folding Chair with Canopy – For those of you that want a portable chair but don’t want to worry about a carrying bag, this Kelsyus canopy tailgating chair folds up, locks, and turns into the carrying case. It is made with powder coated steel which makes it durable and holds up to 250 pounds. It also has breathable mesh fabric seating to keep you cool on the hot days. The canopy has 50 SPF protection as well. Click here to view this Kelsyus outdoor canopy chair for tailgating at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- Goplus Outdoor Canopy Chair for Tailgating – Made with a steel frame and PVC fabric, this GoPLus outdoor tailgating canopy chair is a great option if you are needing shade at your next tailgate party. The canopy is 26.5 inches by 24 inches, which fully covers this folding chair for tailgating. It has a weight limit up to 265 pounds and comes with padded armrests. For your drinks, you have two cup holders. Click here to view this Goplus portable canopy chair for tailgating at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
5 Things to Consider When Buying Canopy Chairs for Tailgating
Transporting your Tailgate Chair
With the added weight of a canopy, your tailgating chair can get a little heavy. So when you are buying your chair, make sure it can fold up and being carried in a bag or by a strap. Most all portable canopy tailgating chairs come with a carry bag or a carrying strap, but just double check to make sure. Tailgating canopy chairs are typically around 10 to 15 pounds depending on the style and material, which can get be awkward to carry if you are walking long distances.
You can also buy chair and table sets in case you are looking for both. While chairs are very important for a tailgate, most tailgating parties lack options for setting down a plate or drink.
Adding an extra table for people to gather around is never a bad idea if space allows. If you are interested in a tailgating table, read more by visiting our article about the best tailgating tables.
Having a tailgating tent may not be necessary if you have a canopy tailgating chair, but it is something to consider. Many people don’t have a canopy chair, so having a tent to go along with you chair may be what is best for you.
Not only is it nice to have both, pop-up tailgate canopies are easy to setup and really add value to the tailgate party. To read more, visit our article about the best tailgating canopies.
Finding outdoor portable canopy chairs for tailgating is the easy part. Setting up the grill, tent, and TV is the hard part. If you are hosting a tailgate party, here are some of our other resources to help you get the party going in the right direction:
- Best Tailgating Quiet Generators
- Tailgate TV Setup
- Best Tailgating Satellite
- How To Setup WIFI at a Tailgate
- Best Portable Fire Pits for Tailgating
- Best Portable Tailgating Heaters
- Best Cooler for Tailgating
- Best Tailgate Chair with Side Table
- Best Cornhole Game for Tailgating
- Best Portable Flagpoles
Tailgate Canopy Chair Seat Height
The height of the seat on your portable tailgating chair with a canopy can greatly affect how useful it is. Be sure to consider how tall the chair is, and whether or not it makes sense for you. Nobody likes a chair that sits too low or too high. Most seat heights for canopy chairs for tailgating are going to be in the 18 to 24 inch range, but it is always best to check.