In this article we are going to discuss 3 NFL Jersey Sizing Tips to consider before you buy. There are 5 main types of NFL Jerseys you will need to consider. Quickly, here’s what you need to know about those 5 jersey types (affiliate links take you to NFLShop.com):
- Nike Legend – The Nike Legend is unique compared to other NFL jerseys. It fits almost like a standard t-shirt, and is more affordable than other jerseys. I was a bit shocked how much I liked the fit. True to size. Lightweight, and easy to wear. Click here to view the Nike Legend jerseys at NFLShop.com. NFLShop.com is the official online shop of the NFL.
- Nike Game – The Nike Game jerseys are popular fan jerseys due to price point. They have the true look of a jersey, but are replicas, which means they are a bit more affordable than premium jerseys. Relaxed fit, but true to size. These jerseys are a good option if you are looking for a Nike jersey on a tight budget. Click here to view the Nike Game jerseys at NFLShop.com.
- Nike Limited – The Nike Limited Vapor jerseys are my favorite jersey. Vapor style has clean front with seams converging in back. Sits flat against body. This jersey has stitched numbers and graphics. Awesome jersey, with a great fit and some premium finishes. More affordable than the Elite authentic jerseys. True to size. Click here to view the Nike Limited jerseys at NFLShop.com
- Nike Elite – These are the authentic NFL jerseys, and the closest you can get as a fan to wearing what the players wear on the field. The fit will be slimmer than other jerseys, mimicking the athletic fit of the players’ jerseys. The Elite jerseys have all the premium finishes, including stitched graphics and authentic paneling. Click here to view the Nike Elite jerseys at NFLShop.com.
- NFL Pro Line Jersey – The NFL Pro Line Jersey is not made by Nike. It is a more affordable replica jersey, which might be a nice option if you are on a tight budget. This jersey has a baggy, loose fit, and you may need to size it down. Click here to view Pro Line jerseys at NFLShop.com.
In this article we are going to discuss some NFL Jersey Sizing tips so you know which jersey makes the most sense for you. I will also link out to our other jersey resources if you want to learn more about a certain type of jersey.
3 NFL Jersey Sizing Tips
Tip #1 – Nike Limited Vapor Has the Truest Fit and Best Value
I have tried every NFL jersey over the years, and (in my opinion) the Nike Limited Vapor has the best fit and value. Here’s what I like about the Nike Limited Vapor Jersey:
- It has premium stitched-on graphics, but comes at a more affordable price point than the authentic Elite jerseys. This is a way for you to have some premium finishes on your jersey, without having to pay all the way up to the Elite jerseys.
- The sleeves are very reasonable. Some NFL jersey sleeves are a bit too loose and baggy for my liking. On some jerseys, the sleeves can run down to or past the elbow. The Nike Limited Vapor sleeves have a more controlled fit, and fit very similar to regular shirt sleeves (pictures below).
- The Nike Limited Vapor jerseys are designed so that the seams all converge in the middle of the back, which allows the jersey to sit flat against your body. Nike did a Vapor design several years back to help reduce grab points on the jerseys for players. This re-design helps us as fans because the Vapor design allows the jersey to fit smooth against your chest and shoulders.
- The Limited Vapor NFL Jersey sizing is (in my experience) true to size. My recommendation is to order your normal sizing. This is nice because other types of jerseys may require you to size up or down to find a quality fit. For me, the Nike Limited Vapor jerseys had a true fit.
Here I am wearing a size medium Nike Limited Vapor jersey. As you can see, if has enough room built in for me to layer, but also isn’t too baggy. I find the fit to be very true to size:
If you are interested in buying a Nike Limited Vapor jersey, this is where you can view them at NFLShop.com to see current price and styles (affiliate link takes you to NFLShop.com). This is the jersey I recommend.
Tip #2 – Don’t Assume All NFL Jerseys Fit the Same
NFL jersey sizing will fluctuate depending on what type of jersey you choose. This actually surprised me a little bit when I first started trying the jerseys. I expected NFL jersey sizing to be somewhat consistent, but it actually varies greatly.
This, of course, may be a good thing because it allows you as a fan to find a fit that works best for you (we cover that next). To illustrate just how much NFL jersey sizing can vary, take a look at my size medium Nike Legend jersey sitting on top of my size medium NFL Pro Line jersey:
Yes, to say there is a difference in sizing between those two jerseys would be an understatement. And even between the jerseys made by Nike, we see a difference in sizing. Here is my Nike Legend jersey sitting on top of my Nike Game jersey (both size medium):
So, NFL jersey sizing does vary. Let’s take a closer look in the next section at how you can expect each type of NFL jersey to fit.
Tip #3 – Find a Fit that Works Best for You
All 5 NFL jersey types have their own unique fit. I want to quickly cover how these jersey fit in my experience, so you can decide if you will need to size them up or down.
- Nike Legend – This jersey fit true to size. It fits much like a standard t-shirt. In fact, the Nike Legend is more like a shirsey. It is made of polyester, so it still has the feel of a jersey, but expect the fit to be very similar to your standard t-shirt sizing. Size medium 6’3″ 200:
- Nike Game – The Nike Game jerseys have what I like to call a relaxed fit, that runs true-to-size. That is another way of saying, it runs a little bit baggy, but not enough to wear I personally recommend sizing down. If you prefer a relaxed fit, the sizing should be perfect. Click here to view the price of this jersey at NFLShop.com. Size medium 6’3″ 200:
Nike Limited – As I discussed earlier, the Nike Limited Vapor is my favorite NFL Jersey. It has some premium finishes, but is more affordable than the Elite jerseys. It also has a very true-to-size fit. I like to recommend it as the best jersey to buy because it seems to have that kind of fit where it works for most all people. Click here to view the price of the Nike Limited jerseys at NFLShop.com. Here is my size medium (6’3″ 200):
- Nike Elite – The Elite Jerseys are the authentic jerseys. This will be the closest you can get as a fan to wearing what the players wear on the field. The design of the authentic jersey can vary, and they do have a Vapor version of the authentic. The authentic jerseys have all the premium finishes, including stitched graphics. These have an athletic, slim fit, so size up if you prefer a loose fit. The Elites use numerical sizing. Here is my size 40 (6’3″ 200):
NFL Pro Line – The NFL Pro Line jerseys are an affordable replica jersey that is not made by Nike. This is by far the baggiest NFL jersey. You will need to size down the Pro Line jersey unless you prefer a loose fit. Click here to view the current price of the Pro Line jerseys at NFLShop.com. Here is a look my size medium (6’3″ 200 pounds):
NFL Jersey Sizing Resources
If you want to read more about these jerseys, and NFL jersey sizing in general, linked below are some of our other helpful resources. To read more about fit, visit our article How Do NFL Jerseys Fit?
- Nike Legend Jersey – Again, this jersey fits very similar to a t-shirt. I was surprised how much I liked it. To read more, visit our Nike Legend Jersey Review.
- Nike Game Jersey – This jersey has a relaxed fit that runs true to size. This is a replica jersey. To read more, visit our Nike Game Jersey Review.
- Nike Limited Jersey – This jersey has a true to size fit. This is my favorite type of NFL jersey. To read more, visit our Nike Limited Jersey Review.
- Nike Elite Jersey – This is the authentic NFL jersey. This is the closest you can get to wearing what the players wear on the field. To read more, visit our Nike Elite Jersey Review.
- NFL Pro Line – This is an affordable replica not made by Nike. This is the baggiest fit out of all NFL jerseys. To read more, visit our Pro Line Jersey Review.
Where to Buy NFL Jerseys?
NFLShop.com is the official online shop of the NFL. I always recommend buying from a reputable source when searching for NFL jerseys. If you can’t shop locally, buying from NFLShop.com is a nice solutation. You can buy from them with confidence knowing you aren’t getting scammed. Click here to shop for NFL jerseys at NFLShop.com (affiliate link takes you to NFLShop.com).