Many golf vests today are made with a stretch fabric or are insulated with synthetic insulation. These vests have their advantages, but sometimes a golf sweater vest provides a more comfortable, professional appearance that looks good both on and off the course. I like the Cutter & Buck sweater vest because it has that comfortable sweater feel, but still incorporates a tiny bit of spandex so the vest is flexible through a golf swing.
*This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (info)
These are my choices for the best sweater vests for golf:
- Cutter & Buck Men’s Lakemont Golf Sweater Vest (click here to view)
- Footjoy Men’s Quarter-Zip Sweater Vest (click here to view)
- Ralph Lauren Golf TEAM USA Ryder Cup Sweater Vest (click here to view)
- Cutter & Buck Men’s Wool Douglas V-Neck Sweater Vest (click here to view)
- IZOD Men’s Premium Essentials V-Neck Sweater Vest (click here to view)
- *Women’s* JSCEND Women’s Soft Stretch Pullover Sweater Vest (click here to view)
- *Women’s* Lady Hagen Women’s Cable Knit Golf Vest (click here to view)
The design of these sweater vests vary dramatically. Some are full-zip front vests, but there are also quarter-zip vests, and traditional pullover sweater vests. Although many options use cotton, there are also several golf vests that are made using a wool fabric blend.
These sweater vests are medium-weight vests best used for cool fall and spring temperatures, or for early morning rounds. They find that nice middle ground where they provide warmth, but not so much warmth that you sweat out of it in five minutes. But for colder winter conditions, an insulated vest or hybrid jacket might be the better option.
In this article let’s take a closer look at the best sweater vests for golf so you can find an option that fits your needs. Let’s also discuss several things to consider when buying a sweater vest for golf.
Best Men’s Golf Sweater Vests
Cutter & Buck Men’s Lakemont Golf Sweater Vest
This Cutter & Buck golf vest has a very traditional design with a V-neck collar. It is made with a cotton/nylon/spandex fabric blend which provides a nice combination of both comfort and stretch. Here’s what you need to know about this sweater vest:
- Design – This vest has a traditional pullover V-neck design with no zipper. It is cuffed along the waist to help it fit comfortably near the beltline. This is a versatile design that can be paired with a wide range of outfits both on and off the course.
- Material – This vest is made with a cotton/nylon/spandex fabric blend. Cotton makes the vest comfortable agains the skin, and spandex obviously adds a bit of stretch so the vest moves with you during your golf swing. Nylon is often incorporated into fabric to help improve the durability of the fabric.
- Warmth – Yes, this vest will provide warmth on cooler fall and spring days, but this should be thought of as a medium-warmth, which is a positive so you don’t sweat out of the vest in five minutes. For colder winter temperatures, a hybrid golf jacket might make more sense.
Click here to view this Cutter & Buck men’s golf vest available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). This vest has a regular fit that won’t hug tight against the skin. It is machine washable.
Footjoy Men’s Quarter-Zip Sweater Vest
It’s hard to discuss golf apparel and not discuss Footjoy. If you are searching for a quarter-zip sweater vest, I think this is your best option. This vest is made using a cotton cashmere fabric blend. Here’s what you need to know about this sweater vest:
- Design – This is a quarter-zip golf vest with a mock neck collar. It zips to the top of the collar to provide warmth around the neck area. The zip design makes it a bit easier to pull this vest on and off. It has a cuffed waist and features an contrast striped internal collar for style.
- Material – This vest uses a cotton/cashmere fabric blend for premium comfort on the course. Cashmere is one of the softest most comfortable fabrics you can buy. This is a medium-weight design that provides the needed warmth on cooler fall and spring days.
Click here to view this Footjoy Quarter-Zip Vest available at Footjoy (affiliate link takes you to Footjoy.com). This vest has a regular fit that looks good both on and off the course.
Ralph Lauren TEAM USA Ryder Cup Golf Sweater Vest
RLX is a division of Ralph Lauren that specializes in making golf apparel, and makes this officially licensed Team USA Ryder Cup sweater vest. This vest uses a wool fabric blend for comfort and warmth. Here’s what you need to know about this vest:
- Material – This Team USA vest is made with a polyester/wool fabric blend. It is perforated in the back to provide breathability. Just like the other two vests above, this is a midweight fabric that will provide warmth on a cool fall day, or for an early morning round.
- Design – This is a full-zip front golf vest that has a mock neck collar. It has two side snap-close hand pockets to give you a place to warm your hands or store small essentials like your tee or ball marker. The fabric itself is moisture wicking, which means it will pull sweat away from your body to help keep you dry on the course.
- Officially Licensed – Yes, this RLX golf vest is officially licensed and is exactly what Team USA will wear during the Ryder Cup. RLX is a division of Ralph Lauren, and creates a wide range of golf apparel.
Click here to view this RLX golf sweater vest available at Fanatics (affiliate link takes you to Fanatics.com). This vest has a standard fit that won’t hug tight against the skin. It is machine washable.
Best Women’s Golf Sweater Vest
Lady Hagen Women’s Cable Knit Golf Vest
There aren’t as many women’s sweater vests on the market as there are for men. For women, this Lady Hagen vest has the comfortable feel of cotton and also incorporates some stretch so you still have the proper range of motion needed during your golf swing. Here’s what you need to know about this sweater vest:
- Material – This women’s sweater vest is made with a cotton/polyester/spandex fabric blend that provides both comfort and flexibility. It has a cable-knit design on the front with two side hand pockets for storage.
- Zip-Front Design – This is a full-zip front golf vest that has a mock neck collar. The vest zips all the way to the top of the collar for extra protection around the neck area.
Click here to view this Lady Hagen women’s golf sweater vest (affiliate link takes you to dickssportinggoods.com). This jacket has a standard fit that won’t hug tight against the skin. It is machine washable.
4 Things To Consider When Buying Golf Sweater Vests
A pullover vest is the more traditional look, but some people prefer a zippered vest because it makes it more convenient to take the vest on and off while on the course. With a zippered vest, you don’t have the wrestle the thing off over your head.
One drawback to these sweater vests is it is very difficult to find options that use a two-way zipper. I like two-way zipper designs that unzip from the bottom because that means the vest can be momentarily unzipped from the bottom during my swing, so my hips and core don’t feel restricted.
Although there aren’t many two-way zipper vests on the market, there are several hybrid jackets that use a two-way zipper. To see options, visit our article about the best hybrid jackets for golf.
Yes, a golf sweater vest provides warmth, but think of it as a mild to medium warmth. They won’t keep you warm in the bitter cold. For winter, you will need something thicker and warmer.
For winter temperatures, and insulated jacket will make much more sense. You can find options with flexible sleeves and two-way zippers that allow you to still have proper freedom of movement despite wearing a bulkier winter jacket. To see option, visit our article about golf puffer jackets.
Golf Gear To Consider
There is a wide range of apparel and gear that can help you find comfort while on the course. Here are some of our most popular articles on golf gear you may want to look into before you play your next round:
- Golf Flip Flops
- Fleece Golf Jackets
- Battery Heated Golf Jackets
- Short Sleeve Golf Jackets
- Tapered Golf Pants
- Golf Crewnecks
- Relaxed Fit Golf Pants
- Flex Golf Pants
- Shorter Golf Shorts
The fabric in sweater vests can vary dramatically brand to brand. Some brands use cotton as the base fabric, but some companies like to use wool.
Wool is often better at wicking away sweat, but cotton is usually more affordable. It is also common to see spandex blended into the fabric to help ensure the vest is flexible through your golf swing.
Some companies will also work nylon or polyester in the fabric of the golf sweater vest to help improve the overall durability of the vest.