There are many days in the fall and spring where you just need an extra layer to play golf. Sometimes you need a jacket to give you some extra warmth and others where you need something to shield you from the weather. Having a short sleeve golf jacket can be the perfect match of rain and wind protection and the right amount of warmth. In general, short sleeve jackets won’t affect your swing either.
I really like the Adidas Provisional Rain Short Sleeve Golf Jacket because of how comfortable it is and allows me to swing freely. It is made with an unlined fabric making it lightweight and loose fitting. Not only is this jacket rain resistant, Adidas Jackets have water wicking technology that help evaporate sweat from your body, keeping you dry.
*This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (info)
These are our favorite choices for the best short sleeve golf jackets:
- Adidas Provisional Rain Golf Jacket (click here to view)
- Cutter & Buck WeatherTec Short Sleeve Golf Shirt (click here to view)
- Adidas Short Sleeve Wind Jacket for Golf (click here to view)
- Columbia Short Sleeve Golf Jacket (click here to view)
- FootJoy HydroKnit Short Sleeve Golf Jacket (click here to view)
- TGW Half Sleeve Golf Jacket (click here to view)
- *Women’s* Miss Moly Short Sleeve Golf Jacket (click here to view)
The first thing you need to decide on when buying a short sleeve jacket is how you want it to fit. You may want the jacket to fit loosely over your clothes. You may your jacket to fit very tight so you can wear it as a shirt. Or, you may want a half sleeve golf jacket to fit somewhere in the middle giving you a snug fit but also having that extra layer.
As mentioned, I like the Columbia Short Sleeve Golf Jacket because it is rain proof and has a snug but comfortable fit. This jacket allows you to freely move around, but still snug enough that it won’t get in the way. It has a 1/4 front zipper that makes getting it on and off easy. It also has 2 front zippered pockets for storing any golfing items or personal valuables such as a phone or wallet.
If you are looking for something to fit really snug like a T-shirt, you might want to check out the Cutter and Buck WeatherTec short sleeve golf shirt. While it can be classified as a jacket, it wears like a shirt but gives you many of the qualities that a jacket does without having to add an extra layer.
In this article let’s take a closer look at the best short sleeve golf jackets for men and women so you can find one that fits your needs. Let’s also discuss a few things to consider when choosing your next half sleeve golf jacket.
Best Short Sleeve Golf Jackets
Columbia Short Sleeve Golf Jacket
I like a short sleeve jacket to give you rain and wind protection with just enough warmth to keep me comfortable during my round. This Columbia windbreaker not only does that, but it also has special technology to help evaporate any sweat from my body. So this jacket can keep you dry from elements both inside and outside. It also has two zippered pockets on the front which are waterproof, so if you are playing in the rain they are a great spot to store your phone and wallet.
Here is what this Men’s Columbia Half Sleeve Golf Jacket looks like:
This is the current price of this Men’s Columbia short sleeve golf jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Material – The jacket is primarily made from polyester but it does have some spandex. It is machine washable, which is always convenient. The jacket also blocks UVA and UVB rays.
- Design – It has a 1/4 front zipper making it easy to pull on and off. The two zippered pockets are waterproof just like the jacket. The jacket is unlined making it lightweight while also not being too warm.
- Weather Resistance – This short sleeve golf jacket is water and wind resistant. Not only does it block water from getting in, it also has a special technology to help evaporate any sweat from inside the jacket.
Click here to buy this Men’s Columbia short sleeve golf jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). The sharp-looking color design also makes this a great jacket for any outdoor occasion.
Adidas Provisional Rain Half Sleeve Golf Jacket
This Adidas golf jacket fits fairly snug similar to a shirt and is weather resistant. It has two zipper pockets to store golf items or valuables such as your phone or wallet. Adidas added in a mock neck that helps keep you warm and protected from the suns rays. Even though it is a tighter fitting jacket, the 1/4 zipper on the front makes it easy to pull off if it gets too warm.
Here is what this Men’s Adidas Short Sleeve Golf Jacket looks like:
This is the current price of this Men’s Adidas half sleeve golf jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Fit– You can wear this jacket as a shirt, but it is still designed to be an outer layer. It has a snug but comfortable fit that allows free range of motion and shouldn’t affect your golf swing.
- Features – This short sleeve golf jacket has a 1/4 front zipper making it easy to take on and off. It also has 2 front zipper pockets for holding golf or personal items. Finally, it has a mock neck to help keep you warm.
- Weather Resistance – This golf jacket is both water and wind resistant. You can be confident having this jacket in your bag when there is a chance of rain or the winds are forecasted to pick up.
Click here to buy this Men’s Adidas short sleeve golf rain jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). This half sleeve golf jacket is machine washable.
Cutter & Buck WeatherTec Short Sleeve Golf Shirt
If you are looking for a weather shirt that has the qualities of a jacket, this is a great option. This short sleeve golf shirt can be worn as an outer layer or you can wear a jacket over it as well. This shirt will provide some of the best rain protection on the market. In fact, it is better in the rain than most jackets. It has has 2 large zipper pockets in the front with easy to pull tabs.
Here is what this Cutter and Buck Short Sleeve Wind Shirt looks like:
This is the current price of this Cutter and Buck short sleeve golf shirt available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Material – This short sleeve golf shirt is made from 100% polyester, so it shouldn’t shrink after washing or drying. With that said, you should always pay attention to manufacturer laundry directions found on the tag.
- Fit – As mentioned, this fits like a shirt and should fit true to size. It has a mock neck with a front zipper that zips all the way to the lower neck.
- Weather Resistance – This is one of the best performing water proof golf shirts I have found. It is rain proof, but also breathable, which helps keep you from getting too warm once the sun comes out.
Click here to buy this Cutter and Buck short sleeve wind shirt for golf available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). This golf shirt has extra lining to help keep you warm as well as dry.
Other Short Sleeve Golf Jackets to Consider
- FootJoy HydroKnit Short Sleeve Golf Jacket – This is one of my favorite half sleeve golf jackets that FootJoy makes. It has a special 3-layer construction that makes it 100% waterproof and lightweight. It has a full zipper in the front, making it easy to get on and off. The full zipper gives you flexibility for many different temperatures and weather conditions. It is also the only jacket I have found that has a scorecard pocket in the back, so you don’t have to worry about trying to get it out of your back pocket. Click here to view this Men’s FootJoy short sleeve jacket for golf available at FootJoy (affiliate link takes you to FootJoy.com).
- Adidas Short Sleeve Wind Jacket for Golf – This Adidas short sleeve jacket is very lightweight and functional. It is water resistant which will allow you to play in the rain if you want. Not only is it comfortable, it is perfect for those conditions where you need just a little bit more than a shirt. It has a 1/2 front zipper to go along with two zipper pockets. It also has a partial elastic hem that makes it fit to your body but doesn’t affect your golf swing. Click here to view this Adidas half sleeve golf jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
- *Women’s* Miss Moly Short Sleeve Golf Jacket – This women’s short sleeve jacket is stylish yet functional. This jacket is mostly made from polyester, but it has some other materials including spandex that allows it to stretch out if needed. The zipper is zipped up from the bottom fully closes to provide warmth when needed.. This jacket also has a hoodie for those days that are windy and cooler. When it gets dirty, you can clean it with your other clothes in your washer and dryer. Click here to view this Women’s Miss Moly Short Sleeve Golf Jacket available at Amazon (link takes you to Amazon.com).
5 Things to Consider When Buying Short Sleeve Jackets
Range of Motion
To me, maybe the most important attribute you need in a half sleeve golf jacket is for it to not impact your golf swing. Short sleeve golf jackets should work as an outer layer that give you some warmth and free range of motion. These jackets tend to be lightweight and typically weather resistant. With that said, some jackets are bulky and do affect your swing. I don’t recommend any of these types of jackets above, but they are definitely out there.
As mentioned, the three most common types of short sleeve golf jackets will be a full size jacket, a pullover or windbreaker, and a shirt jacket. Depending on how you want the jacket to fit and you will want to pay attention to what design you buy.
A full size jacket will be a larger that is meant to be your outer garment. These jackets typically have full or half zippers and fit a bit looser. A pullover will fit pretty snug but is still designed to be a jacket you wear over your clothes. Finally, a shirt jacket can but a middle layer or an outer garment and will fit very similar to a t-shirt. Typically all of these half sleeve golf jackets will offer the same qualities, they just fit differently.
Typically golf jackets will give you wind resistance, rain or water resistance, or both. There are enough high quality short sleeve jackets out there where you can find both, but depending on what conditions you play in you may not need both.
As mentioned above, the Columbia jacket on the list also offers evaporation technology to keep you dry inside the jacket. Not very many, if any, offer this added feature. Of course, this may not be needed if you are not someone who sweats much.
Golf Gear To Consider
There are many things you will want to look into buying when heading to the golf course. Here are articles on gear you may want to look into before you play your next round:
- Golfing Sandals
- Slip on golf shoes
- High Top Golf Shoes
- Slim Fit Golf Pants
- Fleece Golf Jacket
- Heated Golf Jacket
- Hybrid Golf Jacket
- Insulated Golf Jacket
- Removable Sleeve Golf Jackets
- Tapered Cut Golf Pants
- Golf Sweater Vests
- Stretch Fit Golf Pants
If you are looking for sizing for your next set of golf shoes, here are our sizing guides we have for popular brands:
Washing and Drying
Most of these short sleeve jackets are made from polyester meaning you shouldn’t have to worry much about machine washing and drying them. You can come across some short sleeve golf jackets that have special materials where they need to be dry cleaned though, so just pay attention. Also, some of these half sleeve golf jackets will shrink when washed and dried, especially when you do so on high heat. Polyester is one of the best materials to buy to avoid shrinking, but always pay attention to the directions on the tag for the best results.