Playing golf in the fall and spring is maybe the best time of the year to play, especially in really hot climates. Having a zip off removable sleeve jacket is key to being prepared for changing weather conditions. These jackets give you the flexibility to have a long sleeves when the weather is rainy or cool, and a vest or short sleeve jacket when you just need a light outer layer.
I really like the FootJoy Zip Off Sleeve Golf Jacket because it is 100% waterproof and it is made from stretchy material so it doesn’t impact my golf swing. The sleeves are easily removed or put back on with a waterproof zipper design. This jacket is lightweight but also has a liner to keep you warm.
*This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. (info)
These are our favorite choices for the best removable sleeve golf jackets:
- FootJoy HydroLite Zip Off Sleeve Golf Jacket (click here to view)
- BALEAF Convertible Outdoor Jacket (click here to view)
- Little Donkey Andy Removable Sleeve Jacket (click here to view)
- Walter Hagen Convertible Golf Jacket (click here to view)
- Zero Restriction Removable Sleeve Golf Jacket (click here to view)
- Nike Transform Zip Off Sleeve Golf Jacket (click here to view)
- Rawlings Golf Jacket with Removable Sleeves (click here to view)
- *Women’s* Nike Transform Convertible Jacket (click here to view)
- *Women’s* Jofit Removable Sleeve Golf Jacket (click here to view)
- *Women’s* Little Donkey Andy Outdoor Jacket with Removable Sleeves (click here to view)
The first thing you need to decide on when buying a zip off or removable sleeve golf jacket is what design you would like. Some of these jackets come with hoods that are permanent while others have removable hoods. Most jackets don’t have hoods at all. Another thing you need to think about is whether the zip off sleeves turn the jacket into a vest or a short sleeve jacket. Some detach at the elbow and others at the shoulder.
As mentioned, I like the FootJoy zip off sleeve golf jacket as it has a snug fit but is made from stretchy material that doesn’t hinder my golf swing. The jacket is lightweight but also has a liner to keep me warm. Best of all, the jacket is 100% waterproof, yes even the zipper, so I don’t have to worry about getting wet. It doesn’t come with a hood, which is great for me, as I don’t like having a hooded jacket on the course.
If you are looking for a convertible jacket with a hood, I have included the Nike Transform zip off sleeve jacket that also comes with a removable hood. This Nike convertible jacket made with Gore-Tex fabric to protect you from the wind and the rain. Also, it has a back zipper, which is a nice feature if you need a little extra air flow.
In this article let’s take a closer look at the best zip off sleeve golf jackets for men and women so you can find one that fits your needs. Let’s also discuss a few things to consider when choosing your next convertible golf jacket.
Best Men’s Zip Off Removable Sleeve Golf Jackets
FootJoy HydroLite Zip Off Sleeve Golf Jacket
Having a convertible jacket on the course is very convenient during the fall and spring seasons when weather is very unpredictable. This FootJoy zip off sleeve golf jacket detaches at the elbow turning into a short sleeve jacket. I like that it fits snug but stretches enough that it doesn’t hinder my golf swing. Lastly, I like that the whole jacket is waterproof, even the zipper. I know that if it starts raining, this jacket will keep me dry.
This is the current price of this FootJoy golf jacket with removable sleeves available at FootJoy (affiliate link takes you to FootJoy.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Scorecard Pocket – FootJoy made this removable sleeve jacket with golfers in mind when they added a pocket in the back for you scorecard. This solves the hassle of trying to get your scorecard out of you pants.
- Design – As mentioned, the sleeves detach at the elbow, converting it into a short sleeve jacket. The jacket has a mock neck design that zips fully up to the middle neck area to keep you warm.
- Weather Resistance – This jacket is 100% waterproof, even the zipper. The jacket is made from lightweight material that allows airflow and breathing to keep you from getting too hot.
Click here to buy this FootJoy convertible golf jacket available at FootJoy (affiliate link takes you to FootJoy.com). This jacket will fit true to size, but it does have a snug fit.
Zero Restriction Removable Sleeve Golf Jacket
This Zero Restriction convertible golf jacket gives you ultimate flexibility in a jacket. Not only do the sleeves detach at the elbow for when you need a short sleeve jacket, they also detach at the shoulders giving you a golf vest. Made with Gore-Tex fabric, you can be confident that it is wind and rain proof. It has a full front zipper that can zip from the bottom or the top, giving you a variety of ways to wear it.
This is the current price of this Zero Restriction zip off sleeve golf jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Fit– This jacket fits more loose than a lot of jackets but it shouldn’t affect your range of motion. It has a mock neck that zips fully, along with two pockets in the front for golf items or valuables.
- Features – As mentioned, this jacket is all about convenience and flexibility. It can be a vest, short sleeve jacket or full jacket. It closes in the front with a zipper that can fasten from the bottom or the top.
- Weather Resistance – The 100% polyester Gore-Tex fabric is designed to protect you from the wind and the rain. The jacket is also designed to expand in areas to maximize airflow and range of motion.
Click here to buy this Zero Restriction removable sleeve golf jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). You really want to pay attention to the laundry instructions with this jacket.
Walter Hagen Convertible Golf Jacket
This convertible golf jacket is made with the golfer in mind. It has 3 pockets, one for each hand or golf items and another on the chest, which is a great place to store your scorecard. It has zip off sleeves to convert down into a short sleeve jacket. When wearing the sleeves, it has Velcro cuffs so you can adjust the fit around your wrists. It has a full front zipper that goes up to the neck area. The zipper has a guard on the end to keep it from pinching your neck.
This is the current price of this Walter Hagen convertible golf jacket available at Dicks Sporting Goods (affiliate link takes you to dickssportinggoods.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Cuffs – As mentioned, I really like the Velcro cuffs on the ends of the sleeves. This allows me to adjust the fit around my wrists so the jacket stays where I want it.
- Fit – This jacket should fit true to size. It is a looser fitting convertible golf jacket. It has a mock neck to keep you warm on the windy days as well. The zip off sleeves give you the flexibility to wear it as a short or long sleeve golf jacket.
- Weather Resistance – Staying dry on the golf course is a must which is exactly what this jacket will do for you. The Hydro Halt technology wicks water away keeping it from getting inside the jacket.
Click here to buy this Walter Hagen removable sleeve jacket for golf available at Dicks Sporting Goods (affiliate link takes you to dickssportinggoods.com). This removable sleeve golf jacket is machine washable.
Best Women’s Zip Off Removable Sleeve Golf Jackets
Nike Transform Convertible Jacket
This removable sleeve jacket can be worn as a long sleeve jacket or a vest. The sleeves detach at the shoulders making it a very functional vest that won’t affect your range of motion on the golf course. It is made with Gore-Tex material that is water and wind resistant. It also has some down insulation throughout the jacket that can also be removed when you don’t need the extra warmth.
This is the current price of this Nike convertible golf jacket available at Nike (affiliate link takes you to Nike.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Warmth – As mentioned, this jacket does have down insulation for added warmth but it can be removed if you get too hot. It also has a back zipper to open up the jacket and give you more air flow.
- Fit – This jacket fits snug and athletic. It should fit true to size. The sleeves detach at the shoulders giving you a vest option. The Gore-Tex fabric construction is also lightweight, so it won’t be a bulky jacket that affects your swing.
- Weather Resistance – This jacket will keep you dry and warm on the windy spring and fall days. It comes with a detachable hood, giving you the option to cover your head or not.
Click here to buy this Nike removable sleeve golf jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). This zip off sleeve golf jacket is made with stretchable materials such as spandex for greater flexibility.
Jofit Removable Sleeve Golf Jacket
Jofit designs their jackets to be stylish yet functional. This jacket is water repellant which will help keep you dry when playing in the rain. It also blocks the suns harmful rays with an SPF rating of 50. It is made with some spandex to give you a form fit but also allow stretching to give you free range of motion. Overall, this jacket is made with high quality materials to make sure it keeps its shape and size after washing.
This is the current price of this Jofit convertible golf jacket available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). Here’s what you need to know about this jacket:
- Material – Made from Nylon and spandex, this jacket will hold its shape but is also flexible. The spandex allows the jacket to flex with your body as you swing.
- Fit – This jacket is designed to fit the female body. It has a slim fit but is stretchable depending on your body type. It also has a full front zipper allowing you to wear it how you like.
- Weather Resistance – As mentioned, this jacket is not only water repellant but it also protects you from the sun. The removable sleeves turn this jacket into a vest, giving you ability to wear it in many weather conditions.
Click here to buy this Jofit golf jacket with removable sleeves available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com). This removable sleeve jacket is also machine washable.
5 Things to Consider When Buying Short Sleeve Jackets
Range of Motion
To me, maybe the most important attribute you need in a convertible golf jacket is free range of motion. Playing golf when you can’t swing normally is not very fun. You really just need to pay attention to how the jacket will affect your swing when you are wearing it as a long sleeve jacket. The short sleeve and vest options shouldn’t have much affect on your swing.
If the jacket is designed to fit tight or snug, then you want to make sure it is made with fabric that will stretch or expand. Tight fitting jackets that are stiff are going to cause some rigidness in your swing. If the jacket fits loose, just make sure it has features to tighten it up like Velcro cuffs or full length zippers. A loose fitting jacket can cause it to get in the way if you can’t hold it in place.
You are going to find that convertible golf jackets to be similar that they all have removable sleeves, but there are quite a few differences you can choose from. Here are some features that you will find:
- Two-Way Zipper – Some jackets have zippers that fasten from the bottom and the top. This can give you different fit styles and open the jacket up around the core and hips for added flexibility.
- 3 in 1 Jacket – All of these jackets will have removable sleeves, but some offer you 3 jacket options vs 2. Some will detach at the elbow and the shoulder, while many only detach at the elbow.
- Hoods – Some zip off sleeve jackets come with permanent hoods, some with a detachable hood, and some with no hood at all. Just depends on what you like, but keep in mind a hood can affect your golf swing.
- Stretch Fabric – Jackets will often incorporate spandex or other stretch materials into the fabric in the arms and shoulders so the jacket moves with you as you swing.
When choosing your next removable sleeve golf jacket, making sure it is water or rain resistance is a must. If the jacket won’t keep you dry, then it limits what you can use it for. Many convertible golf jackets will also offer wind resistance, which helps keep you warm on those chilly spring and fall days.
I like to also see how the jacket can help with air flow. Many jackets will have vented backs or breathable material to help keep you from getting too hot. When it is raining on a warm day, you want a jacket to keep you dry but not make it so hot you can’t stand.
Golf Gear To Consider
There are many things you will want to look into buying when heading to the golf course. Here are articles on gear you may want to look into before you play your next round:
- Golf Flip Flop Slides
- Loafer Golfing shoes
- High Top Golfing Shoes
- Slim Fit Golfing Pants
- Fleece Jacket for golfing
- Heated Jacket for Golfing
- Hybrid Golf Jacket
- Insulated Golf Jacket
- Tapered Leg Golf Pants
- Golf Crewneck Sweatshirts
- Golf Flip Flops
- Fleece Golf Jackets
- Battery Heated Golf Jackets
- Short Sleeve Golf Jackets
- Tapered Golf Pants
- Golf Crewnecks
- Relaxed Fit Golfing Pants
If you are looking for sizing for your next set of golf shoes, here are our sizing guides we have for popular brands:
Washing and Drying
Most of these zip off sleeve golf jackets are made from polyester meaning you shouldn’t have to worry much about machine washing and drying them. You can come across some removable sleeve golf jackets that have special materials where they need to be dry cleaned though, so just pay attention. Also, some of these convertible golf jackets will shrink when washed and dried, especially when you do so on high heat. If they are made from Polyester, you shouldn’t have to worry about it shrinking much, as it is designed to hold its shape. Always pay attention to the directions on the tag for the best results though.